abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

never?

Losing defining moments is a little scary. Forgetting about those things that you thought you would never forget or get over is quite strange.

Who hasn't been through a break up? And who hasn't uttered the words "I'll never get over him, I'll never forget..."

I experienced the longest relationship of my young life last year. I felt so much, discovered so much, pushed my comfort boundaries. I cried a lot, I laughed just as much, I thought a lot, and I hurt more than I thought I could for a guy.

It was not my first relationship at all, but there were so many firsts with him. Things that at the time I thought would remain engraved in my memory forever. Now, weeks on end go by sometimes without the slightest thought of him; my heart is stone.

But then a song, a letter, an email... something comes along and revives the memory of that person. It's a little sad, a little painful to revisit it all. But the most shocking part is how much I don't think about it.

Going from my heart and head being split into two countries all the time to having my full attention in one place is a great feeling. I wonder where all that time thinking about him has gone. In my current mindframe, it was a waste. How could it not be when you have no point of validation?

He's nothing but a name now. A face I stumble upon in photos sometimes. A chat buddy on my list who I no longer care to chat with. "I'll never forget..."

We do forget. Everything passes.
I hope I remember that when I go through my next break up.


Listening to: Sting - Fields of Gold

4 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Fouad said...

Survival skyr. It's all about survival.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger sky said...

Indeed, our survival instinct is much stronger than we know it to be.

I know I used this "everything passes" phenomenon regarding a break up, but there have been so many other events I thought I'd never free myself of that have also passed.

What hurt like a bitch a year or two ago I can laugh about now. How weird.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really hope you're right...

Bisous ma cherie,


Sissy ;)

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger sky said...

Merci Sissy, t'es mignonne..:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home