abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Saturday, June 17, 2006

money money money

During a month which you'd think is quite dead...I've spent more money than I have any other month this year. A few more outings than usual, eating more food to console myself during hard times, a pair of sunglasses that finally suits me...You know the deal.

But I have a tale to tell...the tale of the most expensive lobster I've ever had.

Wednesday night, I went out with a friend for a couple of drinks. He'd warned me he had forgotten his wallet, which was not a problem...we regularly buy each other rounds, and I have no qualms about buying (I am a working woman after all...)

A few drinks later, the hunger pangs began. We left the bar and drove by the Sheraton hotel. Suddenly, all I could think of was a meal I'd had at their seafood restaurant, Il Paradisio. I'd gone there once before to celebrate my best friend's birthday, whose mom ended up footing the bill. I had no idea how much the lobster I'd had then had cost, but judging from the price of appetizers and the likes, I didn't think it was exhorbitant.

My friend tried to dissuade me from going there, as he figured it would be a little pricy. But I thought hey...what's the most I'll end up paying, 400-500 dhs tops?? No problem...nothing like living luxuriously sometimes. It was almost 11 pm, we were the only ones there...perfect. Without even thinking about it, we both ordered lobsters with lemon butter sauce. Needless to say, they were exquisite.

The waitress didn't quite know who to give the bill to...I grabbed the check, and I really, really wish my friend could have recorded my reaction. I didn't even want to double check with the waitress that she hadn't made a mistake...would have been too embarassing for the guy who'd forgotten his wallet. The bill added up to ONE THOUSAND AND FIFTY SIX DIRHAMS....yes, 1056...for two lobsters, a bottle of water, and a rum and coke. 1056...1056...1056...

In a split second, I thought of all the things I could have done with that amount of money...the clothes, the drinks, the trips, the lobsters I could have had elsewhere...I payed with a big lump in my throat...there was nothing I could do about it, but goddamn, 1056!!??

Anyway, I've tried to forget about this incident...but it almost makes me laugh everytime I think about it. My friend has no idea how much I payed, but I've saved the receipt for a day when he owes me BIG TIME :P

I've eaten at some very expensive restaurants and had some exquisite meals, most of which have been payed for. But I am almost certain that I've never had such an expensive meal. This is ridiculous...sure, both our lobsters amounted to 2.2 kilos, but you'd think they were covered in caviar at that price.

Phew...I feel better having shared this incident...although I am really trying hard to forget it. Please, please, pretty please, don't make me feel worse about it :)

8 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger Jayne said...

OMG!!!! All I can say is I REALLY hope you enjoyed your meal!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Mar said...

How much is that in dollars? You'll get a second comment after the exchange :)

I know that 30 DHR is 10 dollars, I'll make the math, eventhough I dont feel like it. Math Challenged on a saturday. DS, where was my calculator last time I did that? :0)

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger nzm said...

Tee hee.

I'll think of you when we're in Boston eating at Legal Seafood and dining on 2.2lb lobsters for about US$30!

But the best lobsters that I ever eaten are the ones that I've caught for myself while diving in NZ. We call them Crayfish and they don't have big claws - just a lot of legs!

:-)

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

these are the times when you wish u didnt slam the phone on the telemarketing guy marketing a 50% off dining privilege card.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger sky said...

Jin, had I known I'd be spending that much on my lobster, I would have eaten every single inch of it, even the gooey stuff I don't generally eat...hell, I would have even eaten the shell!

Mar, that's close to 300 dollars (US)...oh my gooood..plz be nice with your next comment :)

nzm, shut up :p (and I say that in the nicest possible way :)

juzer, you're absolutely right. Karma!

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Mar said...

oh come on... it's not THAT bad. I thought it was a little close to a $1000 US. It's a lot but not outrageously so. Sa7tein, matra7 ma ysere yemre heh.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good thing you didn't look at the price BEFORE ordering!!! At least you go to enjoy your meal that way (he he)!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger sky said...

chazoo, they didn't have the price on the menu. They only had the pricing by weight...I never expected my lobster to be a giant :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home