abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Saturday, April 01, 2006

wardrobe malfunction

So I'm doing a little pseudo-spring cleaning in my wardrobe, really because the method to the madness is only viable for so long.

Also because I've accumulated things from what seems like a million years ago which I'd never be caught dead wearing now (i.e mini tube top that stops right under my boobs...I kept it anyway, just for the sake of the memories.) And because I sometimes feel the need to give to charity.

Anyway, this spring cleaning made me realise two things. One, 98% of my wardrobe is black. Two, I've put on a kilo or two.

Well, I realised I had put on weight a couple of months back, but I've recently felt the need to diversify what I wear. Not happening...at least not until I go shopping, again!

I've never cared about my weight. I was born curvy and I like it. In fact, my two best friends in high school were stick thin model types (who have indeed modelled), and they were always on crazy diets. Meanwhile, I'd sit there and tempt them into having sinfully yummy chocolate cake.

Sometimes when I had the occasional big crush or supposed big love in my life, I'd lose some weight, since girls tend to be too excited about a guy to eat sometimes. But before moving back to Abu Dhabi last year, I lost quite a bit of weight. Yes I had a boyfriend, but I mainly lost the weight because I was really unhappy with my life. Depression can do that to you sometimes.

Sure I liked fitting into a wider range of clothing for a while, but I'm the type who freaks out when I lose weight. I think I have AIDS or cancer or something. Since I wasn't doing anything to lose the weight, I definitely thought I was dying. But no, it was just the good ole' blues.

So with the weight loss came the need for new pairs of trousers, new skirts etc. I ate anything and everything to my heart's desire, and little did I know that the countless Jammin' Jammocha's from Baskin Robbins I had during the disgustingly hot UAE summer would comfortably find a place on my thighs months later.

They are indeed resting very comfortably now, and I no longer fit into the bottom-clothing-items I bought last year. Of course, my breasts and tummy seem to know nothing of the weight I've put on, as my tops still fit me. We women are blessed with fat rushing straight to our thighs...oh joy.

Anyway...I don't really mind the couple of kilos I've put on, I've always been more comfortable this way. But this means another huge dent into my bank account. I'd love to hire a personal shopper, as I have no desire to hang around malls for an eternity trying to find clothes that will last me a few months.

I also recently ripped my favourite pair of jeans, and finding a perfect pair of jeans in AD is the hardest thing in the world. Why why why. Any suggestions on where I can find nice, well fitting jeans in AD? And by well fitting I mean not armpit high waists or crotch baringly low, and that don't make me look like I have an oddly shaped penis lurking underneath.

I miss Homogene!! (Montreal-based store filled to the brim with every kind of jeans a girl could possibly dream of!)

3 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

I need jeans too....

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there!

I know what it's like looking for a decent pair of jeans!

I've been in AD for quite a while and found out that Tally Weijl (above the BHS store) has good ones, and sometimes, believe it or not, Sana fashions on Najda street has a whole load of different ones and my friends and I use it as a last resort, and usually end up buying a good pair or two!

And if that still doesn't work out, then Dubai's your other option - Stradivarious and Axara used to have really good ones, I'm not sure about their new collection but they're really worth checking out :)

Best wishes!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger sky said...

Thanks anon!
I'll definitely check out Tally Weil. I'd have never thought Sana would have any decent jeans, but if you say so, it may be worth a try :)You can find the strangest things in there, although I don't think I've set foot into that store since 1990!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home