abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Saturday, March 18, 2006

R.E.S.P.E.C.T

I've developped a temper over the past few years, but that temper only comes out with family and friends (sorry guys!)

It takes quite a bit for someone I don't know very well to push my buttons and get me to lose it. But ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure and pride to tell you that I finally told my boss off today! (but of course, being a girl, cried about it the minute it was over.)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Feels so good.

Seriously, I mean I'm nice and all...but I'm not an idiot. I may not speak up very much, but there comes a time when idiots need to be put back into their idiot boxes.

The whole tell-off-the-boss episode happened this morning, although it was over the phone. And I left the office before he had come back, so I have not seen him since. Tomorrow should be interesting. Either I will get fired (a realistic possibility), or he will understand that he cannot mess around with me (also realistic).

What really made me laugh in disbelief was how he kept telling me that I shouldn't question him because he's my boss, and that I shouldn't tell him what to do or not to do. And you know, if someone is not moronic, then yes I will shut up, because I definitely don't have enough wisdom or experience (yet).

But when someone is being an idiot and it's plain for everyone to see, then you can be certain that I will tell him/her, no matter who they are.

I was once again reminded today that you cannot command respect and that your job title, sex, age or race will not automatically earn you someone's respect. I respect those who respect me and those who treat me the way I deserve to be treated.

Man it felt good...but keep your fingers crossed for me. I still love my job and would love to still have it!

Sarah McLachlan - Sweet Surrender

4 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Hope it turns out ok for you.

It's funny how we seem to be running into each other with scoops - this time it's the metblog ;-)

farrukh

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger sky said...

Hey Farrukh, you seem really excited about the metblog!

I'm glad AD is getting its share of attention, this should be fun!

Will keep you posted on the job..:)

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind of deja vu feeling. Same happened with me too. I also had a same kind "encounter" with my boss, but the saving grace is my working relationship with the owner of the company. Boss has already complained to the Owner of the company and the Owner had warned me not to be rude to Boss in future. But I can't help. Whenever I see my Boss's face, I feel to treat it as punching bag. Really, I can't help it.

I always wonder how these Moron gets to the "Boss" position whereas "The Great Minds" end up working for these Morons?

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,

Directly after the altercation with your boss, you should have gone to the owner and told him/her what happened. Now, he/she has only one side of the story (even if you tried to explain your side later, he/she was probably biased against you depending on how your boss slanted his/her complaint). However, if you had gotten your story in first, maybe your boss might be the one getting the frosty looks in the corridor. But, as with any company, there are politics! Once bitten, twice shy they say. But, dont ever be afraid to stand up for yourself! Thats why an up-to-date resume / CV and a good eye on the job market are 2 invaluable assets.

Anonymous 2 :)

PS Sky, the workplace is not a democracy as your (obviously) incompetent boss was trying to tell you, but couldnt find the words...but you can have a smug smile at how you ran rings around him and pushed him into a babbling monosyllabic corner from where he could only press the replay button.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home