abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

eve teasing

In light of the 2006 Blog-a-thon on street harassment, which I missed, I'd like chip in my two cents. I don't claim to have any solutions, but I would like to raise a few points.

Many of my friends still live in the delusional belief that this city is safe for women. I'm not saying it's the crime-ridden streets of New York or any other big city in the world, and yes, we women do enjoy many privileges, thanks to the galantry of the men of this country.

But I've often been exposed to street harassment, and this is something that still scares me to this day.

The first time I experienced any sort of discomfort as a girl in this city was when I was 12 or so. I was waiting for my father to pick me up from a friend's house in the evening, when this bearded man walked past us, stood about 5 metres away, and started jacking off. I had nightmares about that for a while after.

Another time I was harrassed was when I was about 15, some guy voluntarily bumped into me as I was walking home from school and called me a whore, for no apparent reason. After that, he stood near my house every week for about a month, touching himself as I walked past him. I finally told my father about it, and once dad confronted him, he went away.

A few years back, I was window shopping in the dead of summer on Hamdan street with a friend. I was wearing a long sleeved shirt with a high-necked collar and a pair of jeans, when this man came up to me and said: Are you working? I was so naive that I didn't even flinch, until my friend started yelling at him.

In that moment, I understood that it would never matter what I wore, how I looked or what I said. I am a woman, and no matter what, no matter where I go in the world, chances are someone will make a disgusting comment.

As I said, I still live with this fear out here. I have faith in this country and its people, but when I read about the young woman who was gang-raped in Dubai and that those criminals only got a two-year sentence, my heart dropped.

All I can do now is walk around with an attitude. Being naive will not work out here or anywhere for that matter, although I do wish I could retain some innocence. I hate giving attitude, as it's not me at all. Also, a lot of well-mannered and good-intentioned men may think I'm a bitch. But without the attitude, I think women would fall victim to idiots much too easily.

I do, however, love it when idiotic Arabs make lewd comments thinking I'm a Westerner. The look on their faces when I answer in Arabic is priceless. I think it goes to show the discrepancy in how Arab men respect Arab vs. non-Arab women.

I'm glad the blog-a-thon took place, maybe it will raise a few eyebrows, hit a few nerves, and open up some minds.

5 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be a Victim. Don't pity urself and dont say oh my :( bla bla bla..

be Strong, Be confident and DONT be afraid to look them in the eye with a "fuck off or ill slap you silly" look
(tho some would like that, lol)


Goodluck,

p.S: ull get used to it eventually and become 2nd nature.. thats when u can add "shurta" to the tune, :) bas dont do that yet until uve mastered the basics, lol

p.pS: stop bein too girly, do that in private, not in public abudhabi where testostrone frustration is Recorded in Guiness, lol.. Feee Radar for "girly girls" in AbuDhabi

and finally dont take it all to heart, these horny people are in the end ur brothers who deserve ur compassion, but leave that for private too :)

goodluck and keep the pepper spray at bay

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger sky said...

"Keep the pepper spray at bay", nice one! Although I won't resort to such extreme measures just yet..;)

I don't pity myself, and I definitely don't victimise myself as a woman.

I will however, start to incorporate "shurta" into my lingo!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Jayne said...

Carry a digital camera with you hon & ask the next dipstick that starts jerking off in front of to smile for the camera................either that or ask him how many little furry animals he's shagged. For the dummies that intentionally bump you, scream loudly "THIEF" & point at him. Check his reaction to that! Sexual perverts are cowards, like bullies & when confronted, they'll probably run a mile. I've got a couple on my hit list (from hundreds of years ago) & all I can say is God/Allah forbid if I ever come across them again.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Emirati said...

Reading the harassment that you went through really made my blood boil. Im an emirati from abu dhabi myself and to hear about something like this is really shameful.

I would advise you to call the police whenever anyone tried anything like that, the AD Police department has alot of muttawas that hate that sort of stuff. Theyll sort out those idiots real good.

But WRT the rape case, that was legislation in Dubai, legislation in Abu Dhabi is probably a whole different thing.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger sky said...

You're funny Jin! A digital cam might definitely come in handy, and I'm already laughing at the thought of screaming "THIEF" at a pervert..:)

Emirati, thanks for your comment. I have to stress though that I never singled out Emiratis, and that more often than not, they are perfect gentlemen.

Is Abu Dhabi legislation really different than Dubai's? Aren't those things standard across the UAE?
I had no idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home