abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

lost in translation

Many of my posts have been about music lately. I must be in love? Oh, so far from it!

But I have a question to the Arabic-speaking readers out there.

I've been completely addicted to Hussein Al Jasmi's song, Al Shaki. I know it's a little old, but that beat just gets me going everytime.

Except I cannot understand a quarter of what he's saying. My Arabic is good, but not good enough to understand such a pronounced Emarati accent. All I get is that he's talking about someone who left him and that he is sad?

Anyone care to translate?

Thanks!

3 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its really hard to translate into english because it loses the meaning however I'll try to give you as close a translation as I can :) here goes:

The one who spent his night fighting sleepness,
Sleep left him (cannot translate rest)
spent his night worried and thinking (in his concience),
and his moans could break down even the "high headed" (refering to strong people),
***this is the chorus***

I'm the complaining, I'm the crying, I'm the sensitive,
I'm the one who in love lowers my head,
And for other than love I wouldn't have lowered my head,
And there are many others in love who suffer,

***chorus***

I was troubled with the love of the one whose love in my heart got deeper,
A lover who owns my soul and my feelings,
I love him with a love that is so pure that doesn't hide behind it bitterness(not exact),
And I miss him and this adds to my suffering,

***chorus***

Its said that people are different,
This saying is true, and the person who said it is sensitive,
The god ment for this difference between some people,
And praise him who created people differently,

***chorus***

again, let me tell you that its really hard to translate the exact meaning of the song, hope this helps :)

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger sky said...

Thank you thank you thank you!
I can totally make out the words in Arabic now that you've translated it!

Let's see how long it will take me to be able to sing along to it...:)

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!

I'm a celebrety gossip whore too and I just discovered popsugar... because of you! (awwww) Now my morning coffee will be even better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home