abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

fear of flying

I refused an invitation to go on a short flight around the Emirates today as part of a tourism initiative.

Why?

I believe watching countless hours of National Geographic's "Air Crash Investigations" has finally gotten to me. I was afraid of getting on an airplane!

Last night, I watched the TWA flight 800 crash investigation, and man...all of these reconstructions flip me out.

I knew this might happen, as I've become a nervous flyer thanks to the culture of fear we live in. But I didn't think it would be this bad!

Anyway...I will definitely need to go through a National Geographic detox program before my next vacation.

Btw, for some illogical reason, I've always believed that if a plane (with me in it) would crash on land, I would survive. On the other hand, the minute I fly over the ocean, I try not to think about it as I believe I would never survive a crash in the ocean (more predators: hypothermia, sharks, baracudas...)

I also always get a very calming feeling whenever I see a super cute baby on one of my flights, as I tell myself that God (or physics) would not crash a plane with such an adorable baby on it.

I know, it's dumb reasoning. Any of you have weird predictions or superstitions about flying?

4 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

OK you really need to detox from National Geographic :)

I'll scramble the channels in your room this weekend...From now on, it's only The Cartoon Network for you :)

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Jayne said...

Nooooooodubai sunshine, at least let her have E! or the Hollywood channel!
Personally, I used to be quite scared of flying, but nowadays it's sadly just like another bus trip. My only 'superstition' (if you can call it that) is that before take off, I always ask That Bloke Called God to please take care of my family, should anything happen.............weird really, cos I'm not religious.
There's a book - I think it's called Airplane - by Michael Chrighton & despite it being fiction, gives a thorough explanation of all the things that make a plane tick. It's all in the flaps!!

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger sky said...

Oh I wish I had E! or the Hollywood channel to start with...but I am stuck with a very basic set of channels in my cosy little room.

It's ok, otherwise I'd be stuck in here all day...:)

Jin, it's funny how airplanes can make us religious. I am also not particularly religious, but I also always pray when I get on a flight.

Anyway...I'm beginning to plan my summer holiday, so I'm afraid I'll have to swear off National Geographic for a while. And the cartoon network sounds great! Johnny Bravo, Two Stupid Dogs, Spongebob, Dexter...love them all!

Except...I don't get the cartoon network either. Hmm. I guess Sudan TV will have to do.
:)

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Ahh nothing like sudan tv. They are allllllways singing or talking. Very soothing people.

I know what you mean though, lately I am developing an unhealthy attitude to flying. I pray like anything before we take off and before landing, I almost end up in a trance lol

You know what scares me the most? All those stories about engines blowing up at take off or landing due to overheating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home