abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Friday, March 31, 2006

moments alone

Ooooh the weekend is over already. I think a new worldwide rule should be enforced that we should only have four-day working weeks. Surely it must be enough?

I had quite a consistenly busy week, which was fun. I like it when it's like that, because you have no time to get bored or restless, and days just fly by. But why is it that they also fly by when you voluntarily do nothing?

I did nothing but relax this weekend. Lazied around in bed on Thursday morning and dragged my white-self to the beach, only to be met with cloudy skies and violent gusts of wind. No worries, I was on my own with my wordsearch booklet and Ipod in hand...fun times for an occasional geek like me.

I lazied around in my big bed again this morning but quickly got up and ready for the beach when I saw the sun shining from my bedroom window. It was a busy day for the folks at the beach today, and a lot of people I knew were around. But I chose to seclude myself and hang out alone most of the time.

A friend came up to me at the end of the day while I was having a smoke and remarked that I seem to like solitude. I'm guessing he made that assumption based on this one time that I was alone, since I generally go to the beach with friends or family. But yes, sometimes I need to be alone. Even one of the beach staffers was baffled that I was on my own.

What's so wrong with being alone?

It's nice to want to be around people, not to need to be around them. And I learned that the hard way. When I was younger and much more foolish than I am today (if that's even possible), I used to love to surround myself with anyone and everyone. I was always looking for a conversation, always looking for attention.

I can't say I don't like attention anymore, but I've come to be the type that likes a few very close friends over hords of people who'd probably turn their back on you in a second. Of course, I'm not a I-don't-need-anyone kind of person...and I think it's sad when people won't admit to needing someone.

I need my family, I need my friends, I need a guy sometimes...but most of the time, I just want them around me because I love them. Alone time is precious to me; it's when I realise who I want in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home