abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

of boys and religion

I'm sitting here sipping on the best mochaccino in AD, having a smoke, and enjoying the time off.
Although I did attend a press conference this morning and filed a little article...I'm not sure why I volunteered to work this morning even though I'm officially off; I guess it's part guilt, part love for my work.

While I truly am enjoying being off from work, there is a sense of boredom that is ever-present. I'm not quite sure what it is since I've been keeping myself quite busy. I know there are plenty of things missing in my life, I'm not quite sure what they are.

What I do know is that I officially hate men. Well...hate might be a strong word. But I'm fed up with them actually. As you may have guessed, no news from HK yet. I don't really understand why someone would invite you for coffee AND give out their apartment number, you accept the offer, and don't hear back from them. Today is day 3 since I sent out the email...and in my book, once the 3-day mark has passed, it's generally not a good sign. I don't live by many dating rules, but the 3-day rule seems to make sense to me.

In other AD Sunshine issues, I was watching the news yesterday morning and saw a report on the anti-Danish protests in Lebanon. I cried. The sheer volume of angry people coupled with their bone-chilling screams and violence really scared me. Most people who know me know that I am still quite ambivalent about religion...but never more than now have I felt such feelings towards it. I've never wanted to dissociate myself from it more than right now. I read this post by a dear virtual-friend of mine, and although I don't have quite as much faith as he generally does, I felt like his words were pulled right out of my mouth. (Hope you don't mind that I linked you F.!) His last line gave me the shivers.

I have so many feelings about what's happening in the world that I don't know where to begin to write about them. I do know that I feel like the world is hanging on by a very thin thread, and I'm just hoping things won't escalate.

(PS: I've seen the following on several blogs and like the idea. I'll be including "what I'm listening to" lines at the end of my posts, since I am a music nut. )

Listening to: The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down
I absolutely love them, great Canadian band that I actually got to meet in Montreal during the taping of a show for Musique Plus, Montreal's answer to MTV. Though I am sure lead singer Jeff Martin was completely coked out when I asked him my questions, I have it on tape. My first claim to fame :)

4 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Un conseil : fais comme moi, ne regarde plus les infos !

Hey, I didn't know you knew my dear F ! Merci de m'avoir renvoyée à son blog ;)

Bises,

Sissy.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger sky said...

Et oui Sissy le monde est petit! Je savais pas que tu le connaissais non plus!

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

À propos de HK - peut-être qu'il est parti en vacance? De toute façon, il ne faut pas s'investir (trop) dans quelque chose qui n'a même pas débuté... surtout pas un garçon. Je te le dit: "Go with the flow". Don't bear a grudge, it's too exhausting.

I also have lots of feelings and opinions about religion and how it is affecting us with this particular situation. I tried to comment on DubaiSunshine's blog and I couldn't. All I know is that it makes me sad, and it makes me angry that they are breeding fear in us. In short (very short) it is very irrespectful of other Human Beings. How can one command respect if one cannot respect other? Ouf - it is complicated.

De toute façon, j'espère que tu passe des belles mini-vacances. J'en veux moi aussi!

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger sky said...

Chazoo, HK is here. I caught a glimpse of him yesterday while I was in the car and he was walking out of the building. Close call! And if I am indeed holding a grudge, it's not towards him, but towards all males everywhere!

hehe...just kidding. It's tough getting back into the dating game after so long.

Regarding religion, you say something interesting when you say "it makes me angry that they are breeding fear in us."

Unfortunately, I really believe we live in a culture of fear sometimes. I find that a lot of the world functions and thrives on this culture of fear. The media fuel it, we buy into it, and up goes the economy, up goes media ratings, and up go psychiatrists' salaries!

It's so unfortunate. I miss living in Canada, where religion at least seemed to be far more removed than in this area.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home