abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Thursday, February 02, 2006

dot dot dot

Given that I was bored out of my brains and completely unmotivated at work today, I decided to tempt fate.

I emailed my crush. Let's call him HK. I found a semi-decent reason to write to him, just mentionning something I came across that related to his hockey team. I ended the email with "Hope all is well, Take care."

Nice and sweet.

He replied an hour later, humouring my comments and then said something about getting me to go to one of their hockey games sometime. And then: "Drop by for coffee sometime...(insert his apartment number here)."

HMMMMMMMM

The red-highlighted dot dot dot up there is throwing me off track. I know that when I write, dot dot dot usually signifies things unsaid, or a longing for something.

Again, I am schizophrenic blogger with probably too much time on her hands, and hence am probably reading too much into the dot dot dot.

But really, does he seriously expect me to drop by for coffee? I know he's Canadian and Canadians are nice and friendly and all. Maybe he doesn't yet realise that such things are not generally done out here.

I mean if someone had said that to me in Canada, I would have done it. In fact, I have. But out here, I've become quite paranoid and have unconsciouly been adhering to "social norms."

Anyway, who knows. Maybe he has a gf, maybe he is married (although I don't think I spotted a ring, but I'll look out for it next time!)

What is my next step?
Answers on a postcard plz!!

2 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here I go again... it's my lunch hour so I don't feel guilty.

First: social Norms. I understand very well that AD is not montreal with culture and all. But It's not like you'd be making a house call!

Second: I think you should take him up on his offer. If he does have a GF or wife, then it is for you to decide. If you want to be friends or not, or whatever. You might find out that they are great people and fun to hang out with and will help relieve the AD boredome you talk about.

There is a third option: if you don't want to go to his place, invite him over to yours for coffee, or suggest a meeting place at a local café or whereever you hang out.

Anyway - you should do whatever pleases YOU (it's the way society grooves these days). Be safe, and confident and go with the flow.

Wow, i like doing this (one of my little pleasures - talking about stuff over which I have no control in my own life!)

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger sky said...

Your responses are too cute chazoo!
Just because you seem to be so vested in this cause, I'm gonna go ahead and take things into my own hands.

I'll suggest that coffee sometime this week.

Will definitely keep you posted.
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home