abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Saturday, January 14, 2006

late resolutions

On my birthday, I mentionned that I tend to make my resolutions when I age rather than at the turn of the new year. I think I lied..:)

Maybe it was all this reflection time I've had since new year's; with the death of Sheikh Maktoum and the Eid Al Adha, we've basically been on holiday since January 1st. And the sheer boredom that is Abu Dhabi coupled with an intense feeling of wanting to do something more with my life has made me want to take on a billion resolutions at once.

1- Pursue a Master's degree. Sure sounds great, especially when the prospective locations are Australia, Vancouver, or my beloved Montreal. But I've got a teeny problem: I have no idea which field of study I want to get into. I have an undergrad in journalism and a certificate in PR, so a master's in journalism is quite possibly out of the question as I'd essentially be doing an undergrad all over again. An MBA is sooo not my thing, given that I'm the least business-oriented person on the planet. I guess I'd lean towards Political Science (but oh will I have no social life), English (sounds a little flat), or Creative Writing (I'm so not creative). Or, I could take on something totally out of my field and go for oceanography or anthropology...ooh, anthropology! was actually my initial desire for an undergrad...who knows?


2- Study German. At my high school, once you hit 8th grade, you could chose to study either German or Spanish. I opted for German, a language I had always loved, despite many calling it barbaric and unattractive. I followed classes for 3 years, but the sheer complexity of German grammar made me give up. I had more important things to deal with...boys, parties and all. How bright I was. So now I want to take it up again, except that the Goethe Institute in Abu Dhabi will only begin classes in April. Berlitz does offer courses, but at 3000 AED, I'm a bit worried about my dwindling bank account. Anyone know of any other centres out here?


3- Pilates. I practised Pilates for a year in Montreal and absolutely loved it. See I'm not what you'd call an athlete, but pilates is heaven sent for me: relaxing, low impact, and efficient! Except everytime I call up a healthclub, seems the instructor is out of town, sick, or classes are only in the morning (while I have to be at the office). Hmm...fingers crossed, I think I may have found a place where the instructor is in town, able-bodied, and understands the concept of work during the day. I live with the hope that Pilates will one day make me look like Kim Catrall (aka, Samantha from Sex and the City) when I'm 50+. Right! I'm in my 20's and barely look like that.


4- Dance. All of my friends are die-hard salsa fans, yet I've never been into it. I love music and often blast the music and pretend I'm Britney in the comfort of my bedroom, but I'd like to do it more regularly. I had taken a couple of hip hop dance classes in Montreal, and while I looked like a complete idiot, it was so much fun. Once I got the choreography a little, I felt like I was in an Usher video. Good fun.


5- Keep all of the above resolutions. Ok, I know I said there were a zillion, but four seem enough.

Oh and 6- Blog a little more regularly :)

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

Whatever happened to blogging more regularly?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home