abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Monday, December 19, 2005

apples & cucumbers

Oh the joys of working in an environment where apples and cucumbers mix together, to create a highly unpleasant result sometimes.

I (the apple) tend to keep to myself in the presence of cucumbers. When people are older and clearly of a very different mindset, I remain polite, and that's pretty much it. I do that because I know how much they can get on my nerves.

But what happens when the cucumber unpleasantly tries to meddle with the apple?

Around mid-morning yesterday, I stepped out to the balcony of our office villa to have a smoke with my fellow apple colleague. The 200-kilo cucumber stepped out to have a smoke as well, and looks at me and says: You smoke too? Isn't that shameful ('3eib' in arabic)?

Why of course, with me being a female apple, according to the male cucumber, it is sinful for me to smoke.

I shrugged off the dumb comment, but then the humongous cucumber turned to my fellow male apple and said: "We don't work in a very respectful office do we?"

Although I was boiling inside at the of such a sexist, backwards and retarded comment, I finished my cig, ignored the gigantic cucumber, and went back to my work.

Seriously man, will I ever get to work with like-minded people who understand that smoking is bad for all of us, and won't make it any worse whether it's a man or a woman puffing away?

This country plays host to too many different people, something I've mentionned being uncomfortable with before. Mentalities are so different out here. I understand they are everywhere, but it's so palpable out here because we are in such close quarters.

I have many a comment to make, particularly to extremist cucumbers, but I keep to myself, knowing that it is none of my fucking business. Should I tell the massive cucumber that I don't like him praying in the office, that his phlegm-filled sneezing grosses me out to the very core, or that he needs to lose 100 kilos?

Idiot.

(In case you're keeping count, that's Idiot #2 in my office. Will keep you posted as to how many more reveal their true colours.)

6 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

I think you need to tell him to keep his stupid, ignorant, and ridiculously sexist comments to himself. Tell him to go f**k himself if he is not happy. Tell him he needs to wake up and realise we are living in the 21st Century, and that if he is not happy with what he sees, he and his 19th century attitude can go back to where thjey came from.

You should also have told him that the only one who is not respecting him/herself in that office of yours is none other than HIM for actually making a comment begin with!

 
At 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use this as a first step opportunity to cut down or even stop(yeah! I DID IT!) inhaling that poison by no longer sharing the balcony with a sexist & backward peasant!.....Imagine: 8 hour days.....SMOKE FREE!
HABZ

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You used the term cucumber quite a few times in your post. Is it supposed to mean something?

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger sky said...

Go Tam!! maybe you should kick his ass!

HABZ! Glad you figured out how to post out here!

anonymous, I have a feeling you're not so anonymous and that I may know you. But oh God no, the cucumber means nothing! Only meant to draw a big difference between two people, ie. the apple and the cucumber.

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose you expats can go back to where you belong> Id rather have one man Praying in his office than half a dozen know it all expats smoking. Its your superior airs that I dont like

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger sky said...

Anonymous 10:33, So can he go back as well? He's just as much an expat as I am, AND he smokes.

I'll never feel superior to anyone unless they make stupid comments, especially when they are doing something just as stupid as what I'm doing (ie, smoking).

Let's treat everyone fairly, shall we?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home