abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Palestine

Palestine tears me apart. So much in fact, that I wish I didn't care to begin with.
My first reaction to Hamas' victory was one of disbelief. But after the initial gasp came discussions with family, friends, co-workers. And my feelings for Palestine were even further ripped apart. I thought I had a sound opinion on what was happening to my country, but I don't think I know anymore.

Hamas wins the election, and I see a big red flag. After all, they are the 'terrorists', responsible for the suicide bombings that I've always condemned. Their covered faces never failed to make an impression on me, and the image of the late Sheikh Ahmed Yassin in his wheelchair always sent a shiver down my spine. I guess I became part of the gullible public for a while; all I could see was their evil.

The suicide bombings carried out by various Palestinian groups always make me angry. But I've thought long and hard about the plight of the Palestinians, and how maybe many of us would be driven to such acts if pushed long and hard enough. For what seems to be an eternity, the Palestinians have been bullied, killed and humiliated by the Israelis; any sane person can rationalise and 'understand' why they want to go out there and kill the civilian enemy, and leave the mortal world behind.

The religious beliefs behind the suicide bombings infuriate me. Why is it that religion condemns suicide, yet opens up the gates of heaven to a suicide bomber? And what's more, when did Palestine become a Muslim country?

Many a time I participated in rallies and demonstrations in Montreal, whether for the war on Iraq, or for whatever the Palestinian/Israeli issue of the time was. Amongst other chants, the thousands of people gathered would always end up chanting: Palestine is Muslim, Jerusalem is for Muslims. I got so angry every time I heard those words. I thought the Palestinians, Muslim, Christian or atheist, were all united for the cause of their country. Who made it Muslim??

Hamas being in power worries me. Known for their extreme religious beliefs, what will then happen to the Christians of Palestine? Already a minority, seems like we're going to disappear forever if Hamas has its way.

Not to offend anyone, but religion is the source of all evil in Palestine. Jews, Muslims and Christians want to claim it as their own, but it seems we forget that once upon a time, they all cohabited. Why can't they do that now?

I fear Hamas' victory will only strengthen the Israeli right-wingers, and that Netenyahu -aptly dubbed the only man who can make Sharon look like a dove- will come back to power. It seems the timing of Sharon's illness and Hamas' victory is creating a bad momentum for things to just plunge back into disaster.

I never claim to know the Palestinian plight, to feel what the Palestinians of the war feel, or to be wise enough to come up with a solution. But more than ever, I feel torn apart. I once interviewed a Palestinian activist in Montreal, and she uttered words that have stuck with me over the years. "Jerusalem is a metaphor for peace."

I guess she was referring to the golden days of Jerusalem, but her words created a utopian image in my mind, one that only blurrs with the passing of time. I may be wrong, but I feel like we've never been further away from that metaphor.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

4 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Fouad said...

Ur Shalim. City of Peace. Yet it's soaked with the blood of its sons and daughters, and those who dream of making it their own. The entire world is going down the path of religious extremism, not just Jerusalem. Just know that 55% of voting americans decide who to vote for on the basis of their religious faith. Brace yourself for a sad and sinister tomorrow awaits us all.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

A beautiful post. Thanks.

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To pursue fouad's point... A whole lot of people do a lot of things based on their faith. Religions have sparked wars and hatred since the beginning of mankind. I wonder if it will ever change?

As my late father in law use to say (about walking in Montreal and trying to get the Orthodox Jews to say hello) "If people just said hello to each other in the street, there would be peace in the world". Although it seemed like a childish and funny thing to say at the time, it's not so stupid in retrospect.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger sky said...

Thanks for the comments guys.
Chazoo, welcome to my blog, I had no idea you were a reader..:)

I truly believe the biggest problems can be solved with the simplest of gestures in the beginning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home