abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

word-worm

I'm waiting for some bread to defrost so I can have dinner; I'm starving. Seems to be the case all the time lately. Not sure if it's physical or psychological.

I'm waiting and thinking about my blog and how much I want to sit down and write about something. But I am all written out. I spent the whole day writing yesterday (for work), I've been playing bookworm (on yahoo) for a good part of the afternoon, and I've just finished studying another part of the GRE book, antonyms. Words are swirling around in my head, and I swear, I have a headache now.

I was so pooped from writing last night, but as soon as I went to bed, I had flashes of words back and forth in my imagination. I think I have a problem!

I just wanted to opine on the recent outpour of opinions on the showing of Brokeback Mountain in the UAE. I've read so many retarded letters to the editor concerning this issue, and it only deepens my fear of living in such a mentally backwards country.

Almost all of us know by now that Brokeback Mountain is the story of two gay cowboys. And that's as far as some people will go in describing it. I haven't seen the movie yet, obviously, but from what I've read and what I can imagine, it's a love story, and definitely more complex than boy-on-boy shagging. In fact, I believe there is only one 'graphic' scene throughout the movie.

Sure we live in Muslim country. But even worse, we live in a country who still calls homosexuality a disease, and a country that will deny having bred any homosexuals.

There are so many offensive tv shows, movies and the likes that show daily on local channels, yet no one will raise a finger or a voice about it. I read samuraisam's take on the deal yesterday; it was hilarious, and so so soooo true.

I don't think I can say it any better than him, so enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

What are you having for dinner? :)

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger sky said...

What else but my lovely stinky cheese?

:)
yuuuuum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home