abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Public beach = Never again

So my friends and their family invited me out to a barbecue on the public beach somewhere behind Emirates Palace today. Never one to say no to a day by the sea and good food, I was of course in.

Shame on me, but I haven't been to a public beach in Abu Dhabi in lightyears. I now remember why.

It got a little warm, so my friend, her cousin and I ventured out to the wavy waters. The more we approached the water, the more violated we felt. By the time we were in, I wanted to hide under a rock far, far away in the ocean.

All violating eyes were on us, guys started making dumb and lewd comments like they'd never seen a girl in a swimming suit before. Except the beach was full of people, expats and non-expats, all in various degrees of revealing beach attire. I guess because we understand Arabic, the way we were being oggled at and the things that came out of these people's mouths really ticked us off.

I swear, we didn't even want to get out of the water anymore and walk back to our spot. But unless we wanted to to stay in the waters until nightfall when everyone would leave, we had to make a move. By the time I was safely wrapped in my towel again, I just wanted to hit everyone in sight.

I was telling my friend that they need cops to patrol the area, as a lot of cars also just pass by aimlessly to scope out the meat. But she said something rather interesting, that we probably shouldn't be hanging out in our bikinis on a public beach anyway.

I kinda see her point, but I don't think it's forbidden, is it? I do wonder whether the cops would side with us or them though, that's how little faith I have in things changing around here.

I've been in AD a very long time, and you'd think I'd get used to being visually violated, but I don't think I ever will. My friend and I quickly left the public beach after lunch, and I came home in a really shitty mood.

8 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger nzm said...

Sky - that sucks bigtime.

Hope you're feeling better now.

It kind of reminds me of that song itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger nzm said...

and no - before you think anything about it, I'm NOT thinking that you look like that photo in the link!

lol.

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger sky said...

HAHAHAHA oh man that photo made me crack up!
I sure hope I don't look like that in a bikini, but it wouldn't deter any guys from looking anyway! Any meat is good meat!
:p

Feeling better thanks, after a real nice night out! But I will reiterate public beach = never again.
Idiots!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

idiots! taking out the fun in swimming. I heard there were women only beaches over there? I can see why...

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger sky said...

Really, they are idiots. There is a ladies' beach in AD, although I really don't like it.
I generally go to a hotel beach (no, I'm not filthy rich or a snob), but considering the state of public beaches, it's the best option.
We thought we'd be different this time and just stick to the confines of the city, as we generally take a boat out to an island and bbq there, but bad bad bad idea!

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there.
Don't know if you are still checking your blog, and/or if you are still in AD, but am considering moving there with hubby and two small children from Canada.
was this incident at the beach in 2006 something that is a common occurence? as a woman, how do you feel overall about living in the UAE? would you recommend it? do you have any overwhelming concerns?
you seem like a very self-confident and self-assured woman. does this sort of thing not drive you crazy?
one of my biggest concerns is that we will get there and that this sort of treatment (if constant) will drive me bananas. i'm not very good at holding my tongue, and i don't want to move to a country if i can't abide by its rules and customs.
thanks for any advice you could give.

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sky, why don't you like the women beach? can you tell me more about it. How do you get there? is is dor free? are there any restaurant? café's? Thax!
Marie

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sky, hope you're feeling better now...

It's really interesting to read this blog because I'd imagine if you were living in AD for a long time, you would have came about these culturally sensitive issues.

I understand that it's your own freedom, and that you should be able to do whatever you want, but it's common sense to not disrespect the host community. I'm not saying their way of living is right, but if you're super uncomfortable... maybe you should either move out if you are desperate to wear a bikini, or you could compromise this aspect, and try find aspects of their culture that you might like.

It's unfair to say that this is why you don't expect change in places like AD... it's their own way of life, whether it is right or wrong is not for us to judge. But if we were to be in their country, we should at least respect their way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home