abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Saturday, April 29, 2006

not-so-happy campers

I've been up since 7'30 am. I fell asleep at 7 pm last night. I could have slept another 5 hours, but my colleague woke me up with an urgent question and I did need to get up for work eventually. So I'm up, after 12 hours of blissful sleep.

I went camping with some friends this weekend, and I think we all felt like we had been away for days! We set out on Thursday afternoon, and the weather starting turning as we hit the little patch of open sea we needed to go through to get to Bahraini island. We met up with the other campers at one spot, and it was windy as hell so we were covered in sand in no time.

A couple of us set out to look for another, less windy, spot, as we were not too thrilled at the thought of eating sand all night. And we found another spot that was completely blocked off from the wind, except it was quite dirty and was surrounded by trees, filled with birds making really weird sounds. In the process, it rained on us twice.

Anyway, we finally set up camp around 7 pm and by then the large group that was supposed to join us had bailed because of the weather. We started drinking very early on and had a blast. Four of us decided to hit the water for a midnight dip, and I don't think I've laughed this much in a while. Midnight dips are somehow always linked to bathing suit snatchings, and luckily there was no moon, so the walk of shame up to the beach to find our stolen bathing suits was not too shameful. But I did manage to lose one half of my bikini to a very strong current, but luckily, I had packed an extra bathing suit. Hmm.

Anyway, I didn't get to sleep till sunrise, and almost everyone woke up between 7 and 8 am as the heat in the tents was just becoming unbearable. And it didn't stop there. It was sooooo hot yesterday, the sand was boiling and my feet are now damaged. The water out there was also colder than usual, so we were neither comfortable out on the sand, nor in the water. Also, Bahraini was PACKED with people, boats and annoying jet skis, so it wasn't a quiet day at all. Add that to a combination of no sleep and too much sun, and you get a slightly annoyed bunch of people.

Needless to say, yesterday was a very, very long day. I was so tired by the time I got home, I somehow managed to shower and get the ton of salt and sand off of me. I slipped into bed just hoping to browse the net for a while, but I was asleep within minutes. And I was too drunk at night and too dead during the day to take any photos. I just shot a few at the end of the day, so here's one of the marine traffic on Bahraini island (and that was really nothing, the other side was jam packed.)

5 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew about this bathing suit snatchings phenomenon. What a strange pastime. I guess some people have way too much time on their hands.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger moryarti said...

sounds like fun..

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger nzm said...

yup - more fun than you could have on a bicycle..

(sorry - my grandmother used to say that!)

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Sky,

My Name is Nitin and i live in Dubai, and i was trying to figure out a way to reach Bahraini Island from Abudhabi. The last time i went there was 2005, with my sis and couple of friends, Thanks to the owner of the Boat Jr. Mike. Now that Mike isn't around we cant figure out a way to get there.

Since i googled "Bahraini Islands" i came across your blog and read the article.

I love that place and i wish to take my friends there, would appreciate if you could give us a guidance and tips to get to the island.

Thank you,
Nitin
nitinpatte@gmail.com

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

We are also planning to camp there. Can any body guid how to reach there ans (also return)

Thx
Saeed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home