abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Friday, November 18, 2005

thought of the week

Well well...still new to the blogosphere and I'm already slacking off. Discipline is definitely not my forte.
But I'm here now!

Seems plenty of things went down in the You-Aye-Eee this week. Bill Clinton, Behnazir Bhutto and my latest crush, Richard Branson, all gathered only a few kilometres from where I live. Again, due to dumbass Egyptian logistical issues, I missed seeing the lion-maned man in the flesh...oh well. Jacko surfacing in Do-buy once again, creeping me out to my very core. I will not share my opinions again, but all I will say is this: Jacko is weird, yes. But what's worse, is that we are dictated by a bunch of hypocrits. 'nuff said.

The thought that floated around my head this week revolved around fear. I started thinking of terrorism, bombs going off everywhere, and how through various means, both physical and ideological, the world is thriving on a culture of fear. Terrorism, bird flu and the likes. As I've grown up, I've developped more and more fears, validating the fact that ignorance truly is bliss. The more I learn, the more I fear...hopefully until I learn that knowledge is power.
My fears may be irrational most of the time. But I also thought of another kind of fear: the fear of feeling.

I may fear many things, but I do not fear my feelings. I thought of the people I know who are so afraid to let go of their emotions and love someone, and tell them that they do. Through time and many a heartbreak, I've learned to control the words that come out of my mouth, but not necessarily the feelings that grow inside me.

Many times I've worried about people judging me on my fears. "He" never did to my face, but he probably did in his head. But you know...here is where I judge him: afraid of his feelings. Weak. So afraid to let someone into his perfectly sterile bubble that he couldn't tell me how he felt when I was practically begging for it.
But rather than being judged, his behaviour is probably applauded by many. Why are some fears judged, and others -equally as important- lauded?

Why should I be considered weak and not him? Isn't the ability to love one of our greatest strengths?

If it is...he was a coward.
I rest my case..:)

4 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

It's so weird how sometimes fear can be so strong it paralyzes us! And it's true that the older we get, the more fearful we get, when really, it should be the other way round. Ignorance really IS bliss...it makes everything so much simpler! I wish I could go back to being ignorant (not all the time, just sometimes).

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Fouad said...

I don't think we fear loving, I think we just fear loving and losing.

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do thing the older we get the more fearful we get, but for the matters of the heart it's the inverse. As you age, then you are less likely to fear love. But as we know women tend to mature faster then men!!! Great blog Rania !!!!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger sky said...

Thanks Cynthia..:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home