abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Sunday, October 30, 2005

a discrepancy

Day 5 and only one comment...hmm, I'm starting to feel unappreciated in this blogosphere. Just kidding, I'm a middle-child, might explain my need for attention.

Eid is coming up, Ramadan comes to an end yet again, and the city will go back to it's 'normal' pace. Although being in a Muslim country, I'm surprised that I'm hearing more about Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights, than the Eid al Fitr itself...strange, no?

Before I go on with my thoughts, I need to make it clear that I have nothing against any religion or beliefs a person might have. In fact, I'm an advocate of all of these issues being personal, and that if a person is good, I could not care less if they worship a rock or a frog.

But what has struck me lately is how, in a Muslim country -whereby Islam only believes in monotheistic religions (ie Judaism, Christianity and Islam)- Diwali, a Hindu festival, is accepted and openly celebrated.

Again, I am all for open-mindedness and minding one's own business...but isn't this somewhat hypocritical?

I am no expert on Hinduism or any other religion, but from the research I've done, Hinduism is definitely not a monotheistic religion, and not recognised by the Muslim world as one. How is it that Islam dictates the country we live in, yet blatantly advertises what Muslims deem to be a non-religion?

I realise that many Hindus have come to live in the UAE and that as with every other religion, they have the right and the duty to celebrate, and rightly so. But I see fewer ads for Christmas in the papers than I do for Diwali, and god forbid we ever acknowledge any jewish holidays, as of course, the jews are our "enemies."

Either I've missed a chapter or this just doesn't make sense to me. Any thoughts? Further explanations? I am curious to know what people think, or if this is a discrepancy I'm merely imagining.

2 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well thats the fabric the UAE is made of

 

Post a Comment

<< Home