abu dhabi sunshine

life, times...and opinions from Abu Dhabi

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Lines of time...

I’m thinking that it’s a momentous and unnerving event the day a girl buys her first anti-wrinkle cream. Girl? What am I saying…woman. Buying an expensive and possibly useless age-defying cream is one more step taken into that much sought-after womanhood. I’ve often wondered what makes a woman, well, a woman. Boobs? Check. Hips? Check. Boyfriends? Check. Broken heart? Check. Job? Check. Wrinkles? Not quite check.

Enter New Year’s Eve, this one night where everyone is supposed to have a great time and look their best. Don’t get me wrong, I am not one of those ‘new-year’s-is-so-overrated’ cynics; I was partying it up, holding my liquor like a woman should, dancing with everyone in the room and making out with a crush. All was well in my world and 2007 seemed to be settling in quite nicely. That was until the age thing came up.

I’m 26, loud and proud, and have looked 26 for the past 10 years or so. I got in to clubs at 14, bought alcohol and cigarettes freely, and have never ever been ID-ed. Finally, I thought I was settling into my look, my skin, my face. But BAM: on new year’s eve, a new friend told me I looked 5 years older than my youthful 29 year old sister (sorry DS!).

…..
…..
…..

Yes I almost didn’t recover. I have no problem looking older than my age, but having someone think I was over 30 was a bit of a reality check. The stresses of my young life have definitely begun to show on my face, and so the sun had barely dawned on the second day of the new year that I was already out looking for anything that would keep my face together.

And right when I lay my hand on the little jar filled with genetically engineered and scientifically enhanced hope, I felt old. Not like a woman….just old.

8 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

Like I said, I can't believe you revealed my age!

I don't like you anymore :)

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger nzm said...

DS - ROTFLMAO!!! Damn, there's some mileage to be made out of this! :-)

Sky: so, with a comment like that, is this new friend going to be an old friend someday, or just a passing acquaintance? LOL!

Just remember the saying: You're only as old as the young man you feel!

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wicked post Sky!

I have to say that I think all these expensive anti aging creams are an absolute waste of money though!

Any normal moisturiser works just as well!

Happy new year! x

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger KJ said...

happy new year.....

happy new wrinkle free year...

I am 36... cannot wait to be 40..


:D

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Jassim said...

with the age comes wisdom... most of the time.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger i*maginate said...

Remember the times when you were younger and wanted to be older?

Your new friend should have had the courteousness to say you looked younger than he/she thought.

Don't feel bad about approaching your 30s. Think about those cute 5 year olds running up to you, thinking you're cute.

Those wrinkle creams should be bought when you think you need 'em. Keep scoffing Swiss cheese and chocolate, I think those would be better remedies to youth and laughter ;)

peace, love and happiness
xxx i*maginate

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous dubai apartments said...

Dubai has become a big player in the golf world, hiring Tiger Woods to build his first ever golf course. It’s also become the biggest stage on the European Tour with two events, including the “Race to Dubai” season-ending tournament and prize money similar to the FedEx Cup in America

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Here, you will be greeted with a host of spa & beauty treatments, along with creative & innovative services, for you to look good & feel even better!

RE- Salons & Spas continues UAE expansion with launch of third and fourth outlets in Dubai Internet City and Dubai Marina.
We are expertise in Beauty Parlour at Dubai for home services and best offer.
*Home Spas Dubai
*Facial in dubai
*Salon and spa in dubai
*Home spa dubai
*Salons and spa
*Beauty and spas Dubai Internet City

 

Post a Comment

<< Home